Who doesn’t love a mini dessert? These mini apple hand pies are perfect for your big apple pie cravings with out all the wait time.
Ingredients & Equipment Needed For This Recipe
- Apples– My go to for apples for baking are granny smith’s because they are more tart. If you use a sweeter apple be sure to cut the sugar in half.
- Granulated Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Ground Cinnamon
- Pie Dough– You can use a store bought pie crust or use my no fail Pie Dough Recipe.
- Egg or Water– Depends on what you’d like to use to seal your pies
- Set of Measuring Spoons OR Digital Kitchen Scale if using Metric
- Cutting Board– To cut the apples on.
- Knife– Do I need to explain this one?
- Peeler– This is optional. Depends on if you like apple skins or not!
- Small Pot or Sauce Pan– For cooking the pie filling.
- Fork- To seal the hand pies.
- 1/2 Sheet Pan or Cookie Sheet– For making the pies.
- Parchment Paper– To ensure these mini apple hand pies don’t stick to the sheet pan.
My Kinda Professional Tips For Mini Apple Hand Pies
- You can use a pre-made store bought filling for this recipe. While the store-bought is not the same as the homemade filling, it will work!
- Let the filling cool slightly before adding to the pie dough. This is will only take about 10 minutes. It ensures that the butter in the dough doesn’t melt.
- Chill the mini apple hand pies in the freezer while your oven heats up. Making sure the dough is completely chilled or even frozen slightly is the best way to not have your pie dough melt in the oven.
- These mini pies will keep in the fridge for up to three days in a close-able container. Unbaked assembled pies will keep in the freezer for up to two weeks.
Mini Apple Hand Pies
- Set of Measuring Cups & Spoons OR Digital Kitchen Scale if using metric
- Cutting Board
- Small Pot or Sauce Pan
- Rubber Spatula
- 1/2 Sheet Pan or Cookie Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Apple of Choice, cubed
- 2 Tbl Unsalted Butter (28 g)
- 2 Tbl Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- pinch Kosher Salt
- First begin by making the pie dough. Let cool for at least 30 minutes in the freezer before using.
- To prepare the fulling, cut the apples to your desired size but remember that the hand pies are small so keep the apples small if possible.
- Melt the butter, sugar, cinnamon and salt together in the small pot over low heat until dissolved. Add the apples and cook until soft. Remove from heat and let cool at least 10 minutes before using.
- To assemble the hand pies, using either a cutter or a knife, cut your desired size of hand pie. I like to go for about 3-4". Add about 1 Tbl filling one side of the dough.
- Using your finger, place either egg wash or water to the edge of the pie dough and close the filling inside. With the fork press the two sides of the dough togther to create a seal.
- Place the assembled pies on a sheet tray and let chill in the freezer for at least 30 minutes, or while your oven is heating up.
- To bake, set oven to 350° F (177° C) and bake the mini pies for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool about five minutes before enjoying!
Did You Make This Recipe?
Be sure to leave a review below &
tag me on Instagram @kindaprofessionalbaker
I’d love to see what you’re making!
Have you joined my email list? Sign up for my newsletter To Get Monthly Recipe Roundups And More!
Don’t worry, I promise I won’t spam you.