We’re jumping into fall with the best pumpkin roll you’ll ever make! Not to mention easy. This is a recipe that my mom makes every holiday and I always can’t wait to have it. The smooth cream cheese filling makes these drool worthy. Whether you’re eating it plain or with a scoop of ice cream (pro-tip), this easy dessert is sure to be a new family tradition.
What Ingredients & Equipment Do I Need For This Recipe?
- Egg & Egg Yolk– Since this is a little bit of. smaller cake size you’ll only need the yolk of one egg (Save that for another recipe!)
- Granulated Sugar– Or a sugar alternative of your choice.
- Pumpkin Puree– The essential fall baking can to have in your pantry!
- All-Purpose Flour– You can replace with your favorite 1:1 Gluten Free all-purpose flour of choice
- Baking Soda– Make sure this is up to date and not expired.
- Ground Ginger
- Ground Cinnamon– For both spices you can use whatever brand you like!
- Kosher Salt– The baking salt of choice
Cream Cheese Filling
- Cream Cheese– This is going to be at room temperature so there are no lumps in the filling.
- Unsalted Butter– Make sure this is soft too!
- Vanilla Paste or Extract– Depends on the amount of vanilla flavor you want in your filling.
- Powdered Sugar– To really ensure that you have a smooth cream cheese filling, sift this before adding it to the butter and cream cheese. Also need extra for dusting.
- Set of Measuring Cups & Spoons OR Digital Kitchen Scale if using Metric.
- 2 Medium Mixing Bowls– One is for mixing the cake batter and the other is for mixing the cream cheese filling. You can also use the same bowl just wash in between for less dishes!
- Rubber Spatula
- 1/4 Sheet Pan or 9″x13″ METAL Baking Dish– You want to make sure that the dish is metal if you’re using one so that the cake is baked properly.
- Parchment Paper– To ensure that the cake won’t stick to the pan.
- Pan Spray– Extra insurance for a non-sticky cake.
- Tea Towel or Light Linen with No Pattern– This is going to be a good way to roll up the cake before adding the filling. This is going to help the cake keep its shape.
My Kinda Professional Tips for The Best Pumpkin Roll
- Powdered sugar is your best friend. Be sure to use it before AND after rolling in the towel. I also like to put it on both the top and the bottom of the still warm cake.
- Don’t rush it. While this recipe is not too difficult, it does require a little bit of patience. Making sure all of the elements are ready and properly cooled before starting.
- Don’t try to add more filling. This is going to be the perfect amount of filling needed for this size recipe.
- Depending on your taste, you can add nuts too!
- This recipe can be easily doubled for a larger serving size yield or to freeze for your future pumpkin cravings.
- This pumpkin rill will keep in the fridge in a close-able container for up to 5 days and double wrapped in the freezer for up to one month.
We're jumping into fall with the best pumpkin roll you'll ever make! Not to mention easy.
- Set of Measuring Cups & Spoons OR Digital Kitchen Scale if using metric
- 2 Medium Mixing Bowls
- Rubber Spatula
- 1/4 Sheet Pan or 9" X 13" Metal Baking Dish
- Parchment Paper
- Pan Spray
- Tea Towel or Light Linen
- 1 each Egg Yolk
- 1 each Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar (100 g)
- 1/3 Cup Pumpkin Puree (75 g)
- 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour*or 1:1 GF Flour (45 g)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, soft (112 g)
- 2 tbl Unsalted Butter, soft (28 g)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Paste
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar (50 g)
- Begin by pre-heating oven to 350° F (177° C) and preparing your baking dish of choice with pan pray and parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine in one of the medium bowls all of the wet ingredients and sugar for the cake with a whisk so that everything is smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients on top of the wets and use the rubber spatula to combine. (This is would be when you'd add nuts)
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover the dish. This is a very thin batter so be careful!
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and no more. Prepare your towel placing on counter or flat surface and sifting powdered on top to prevent sticking.
- Let the cake cool for only 5 minutes before sprinkling the top with powdered sugar. Flip carefully onto the towel and then sift more powdered sugar on top.
- Fold the towel onto the cake and begin to roll the long side up into itself until completely rolled. Place in the fridge for at least one hour before filling.
Cream Cheese Filling
- Cream or whisk together the cream cheese and butter in the other medium bowl. Add the vanilla and combine.
- Carefully place the powdered sugar in in two parts. This will prevent a huge mess from occurring, trust me.
- Take the cooled and rolled cake from the fridge and gently unroll but keep the cake on top of the towel as were going to re-roll and chill again so that the filling has time to set and not spill out everywhere.
- Place the filling in the middle of the cake and spread out in an even layer leaving about 1/2" border about the outside of all four sides.
- Gently roll the cake with the filling back up into the towel (this time it's on the outside) and place back into the fridge for at least one hour before slicing and enjoying!
1 Serving= 1-1″ Slice of Pumpkin Roll
Did You Make This Recipe?
Be sure to leave a review below &
tag me on Instagram @kindaprofessionalbaker
I’d love to see what you’re making!
Have you joined my email list? Sign up for my newsletter To Get Monthly Recipe Roundups And More!
Don’t worry, I promise I won’t spam you.