Use your old bread to make these easy homemade croutons. Seasoned any way you like, dairy-free, and all can be made in under 20 minutes.
Salads are not complete without croutons, in my opinion. I have found that when I buy them, they are kind of pricey for something I could easily make at home. So now I do!
This dairy-free small-batch recipe for croutons is so easy. You can season them anyway you want to as well. Garlic, peppery, or cheesy, the choice is yours! These will make you wanting to make more salads I promise! Iike to pair with arugula, feta cheese, & cranberries with a simple vinaigrette. So light and fresh!
Equipment & Ingredients Needed For Homemade Croutons
- Bread of Choice– I wouldn’t go out and specifically buy bread just to make these croutons. I like bread but there is no way that I could get through a whole loaf alone. So I just make small batches as use them as fresh as possible.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil– You can use butter if you want! I haven’t tried with coconut oil, but I don’t imagine it to be any different except the more mild flavor.
- Seasonings of Choice– I like to use different seasonings for different salads, so go crazy!
- Cutting Board & Sharp Knife– Cut the bread according to how you like to eat them. I prefer smaller ones (so that I can have more) so, I cut them that way. I also use a bread knife when cutting bread. (Weird, I know)
- Small Mixing Bowl– To toss the bread, oil, and seasonings.
- 1/4 or 1/2 Sheet Pan– To bake the croutons to crispy perfection.
- Rubber Spatula– Give the croutons a toss about halfway through baking.
FAQ’s For This Homemade Crouton Recipe
These can best be store in a close-able container. A plastic container with a lid or a zip-close bag will work great. I store in the pantry, with the rest of my bread.
These croutons will keep in the storing container for up to 10 days. You can also cut the bread and place in the freezer to be made at another time. Just make sure to thaw completely before preparing and baking.
My Kinda Professional Tips
- Don’t bake these croutons too long. They will get super crunchy and not great. They will also get harder over time resulting in a shorter shelf life.
- These are totally customize-able to your taste. Do you love garlic? Make garlic croutons.
- This recipe can be used for homemade breadcrumbs too! Bake an extra 5-10 minutes. Once cooled, pulse in a food processor or crush in a plastic bag until small.
- These homemade croutons will last in a close-able container in the pantry or cabinet for up to 5 days.
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
- Sharp Knife
- 1/2 Sheet Pan or Cookie Sheet
- Rubber Spatula
- 1/2 Cup Cut Up Bread (about 1-2 Slices)
- 1 Tbl Olive Oil
- to taste Seasonings of Choice
- Pre-heat oven to 325° F (163° C).
- Cut up the bread to the size of croutons you want to have. Note that they will shrink slightly in the oven.
- In the mixing bowl, combine the bread, olive oil, and your seasonings and mix well to combine. I use my hands but you can also use a rubber spatula
- Place straight onto the sheet tray and bake for 10 minutes. Take out and toss around with the spatula to ensure even cooking. Bake for another 5-8 minutes.
- Let cool completely before using or storing in a close-able container for up to 5 days.
I Love When You Make My Recipes!
Be Sure to Tag Me on Instagram
Leave a Question or Comment Below