Satisfy your savory craving with this green chile cornbread. This side dish or snack is ready in less than 30 minutes so you know it’ll be worth it.
Ingredients & Equipment Needed For This Recipe
- Cornmeal– I used extra fine for my recipe but you can use a little bit of a more dense cornmeal if that’s all you can find.
- All-Purpose Flour- Can be substituted for your favorite 1:1 gluten-free alternative
- Granulated Sugar
- Kosher Salt
- Baking Soda– Make sure this is up to date!
- Cheddar Cheese– For this you can use whatever kind of cheese you like, or no cheese at all!
- Cooked Corn– This part is optional. I used some frozen corn that I had in the freezer. Using corn from the can works well also. It gives the cornbread an extra texture and flavor.
- Neutral Oil– I used vegetable oil, but coconut oil would work well also.
- Milk of Choice– I wouldn’t suggest a sweet milk alternative for this recipe (i.e. sweetened vanilla almond milk). Whole milk is my go-to when it comes to baking.
- Large Eggs
- 4 ounce Can of Chopped Chilis– If you want a little more spice, you can substitute the green chilis for chopped/diced jalapeños. Just be sure to drain as much as the liquid as possible.
- Set of Measuring Cups & Spoons OR Digital Kitchen Scale if using Metric
- Large Mixing Bowl– This is a one bowl recipe!
- Whisk– Incorporating the dry ingredients together.
- Rubber Spatula– Best for folding in the wet ingredients into the dry
- 8″x8″ METAL Baking Dish– If all you have is a glass baking dish, that’s okay! You’ll just want to increase the oven temperature by about 10°.
- Pan Spray– Gotta make sure the cornbread comes out to enjoy!
- Cake Tester or Toothpick– To check the doneness of the cornbread.
My Kinda Professional Tips For Green Chile Cornbread
- As with all of my recipes, I suggest having everything ready to go before you get started. This will make the preparation process go smoothly and also help to ensure you don’t accidentally forget something!
- Try not to over mix your batter. This will result in a dense and chewy (not in a good way) cornbread.
- Bake in a metal pan. I know there is a lot of debate whether glass or metal is better to bake in. For this definitely metal. Metal gets hotter faster and more evenly resulting in an even bake.
Green Chile Cornbread
Satisfy your savory craving with this green chile cornbread. This side dish or snack is ready in less than 30 minutes so you know it'll be worth it.
- Set of Measuring Cups & Spoons OR Digital Kitchen Scale if using metric
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- 8"X8" Metal Baking Dish
- Pan Spray
- 1 Cup Cornmeal (138 g)
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour*or 1:1 GF Flour (120 g)
- 2 Tbl Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded (41 g)
- 1/4 Cup Cooked Corn (40 g)
- 1/4 Cup Neutral Oil (120 ml)
- 1 Cup Milk (240 ml)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 4 ounce Can on Chopped Green Chilis
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F (177° C). Prepare your baking dish with pan spray and set aside.
- Combine together all of the dry ingredient into a large mixing bowl. Whisk to ensure everything is incorporated. Add on top all of the wet ingredients, using a rubber spatula. Be sure not over mix!
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
1 Serving= 1 piece of Green Chili Cornbread
Did You Make This Recipe?
Be sure to leave a review below &
tag me on Instagram @kindaprofessionalbaker
I’d love to see what you’re making!
Have you joined my email list? Sign up for my newsletter To Get Monthly Recipe Roundups And More!
Don’t worry, I promise I won’t spam you.